NEW PROGRAM THIS YEAR!
CanPowerSkate’s Pre-Power is designed for young skaters, approximately four to six years of age who
can stand up on skates and move forward (shuffle, walk or glide) who may not be ready for
CanPowerSkate Level 1 Session. Pre-Power helps develop basic skating abilities in a power
skating-specific environment, including balance skills, forward and backward skating, stopping,
turning and agility skills. The curriculum is presented in three progressive levels complete with
its own awards to encourage participation and to motivate skaters
CanPowerSkate Level 1 is offered this year and is geared towards skaters aged approximately six or
older who already have basic forward and backward skating skills (be able to skate the length of
the rink using alternate strides) and are able to stop on command without use of the boards. For
safety reasons participants should wear full hockey/ringette equipment that is CSA approved.
Level 1 will focus on:
• Forward Stride
• Backward Stride
• 180 Tight Glide Turn (both directions)
• Backward Snowplow Stop
• Forward Side Stops (two feet-both directions)
*LEVELS 1 GOLD TO LEVEL 6…STAY TUNED FOR OUR NEW REVISED PROGRAM COMING IN THE SUMMER OF 2018!
CanPowerSkate Session Description:
An action-packed, high energy instructional power skating program for hockey or ringette players, aged 5 and up. Skills focus on edges, balance, power, agility, speed & endurance.
Techniques, conditioning drills & skills are taught in a progressive format that emphasizes how they apply to game situations. With bonus stick handling techniques.
- PreCanPower helps develop basic skating abilities in a power skating-specific environment, including balance skills, forward and backward skating, stopping, turning and agility skills.
- Levels 1-3 focus on skating fundamentals.
- Levels 4-6 place additional focus on acquisition of efficient technique, speed, agility, technical aspects of stride and acceleration and skating with the puck/ring.
Coaching and Lesson Format: Group lesson format. Program is 12 weeks long: 10 weeks of lessons followed by two test days. To skate for the full year, register for both FALL and WINTER sessions.
REQUIRED Equipment: Full CSA approved hockey/ringette equipment required, including stick, helmet, neck & mouth guard.
CanPowerSkate Session Qualifications:
Minimum Skating Requirements: Skaters must have basic forward and backward skating skills (be able to skate the length of the rink using alternate strides), and be able to stop on command without use of the boards. If skater does not meet this requirement, we recommend enrolling in CanSkate learn to skate lessons until completion of Stage 4.
CanPowerSkate Session A: Pre-Power & CanPower Level I
- Hockey players who are new to CanPower: should be between the ages of 5 and 9, and meet the minimum skating requirements.
- Hockey players previously in CanSkate: must have passed a minimum of Can Skate 4, and playing hockey.
- For hockey players returning to CanPower: any players who have not yet achieved Level 1 Silver.
CanPowerSkate Session B: CanPower Levels 1-2
- Hockey players who are new to the CanPower program: should be aged 10 and up, currently playing hockey, and meet the minimum skating requirements.
- For hockey players returning to CanPower: must have passed a minimum of Level 1 Silver, and have not yet achieved Level 2 Gold.
CanPowerSkate Session C: CanPower Levels 3-6
- For returning skaters that have passed a minimum of Level 2 Gold, and are working on Levels 3 through 6.