CanPowerSkate Session Description:
An action-packed, high energy instructional power skating program for hockey or ringette players, aged 5 and up. Skills focus on edges, balance, power, agility, speed & endurance.
Techniques, conditioning drills & skills are taught in a progressive format that emphasizes how they apply to game situations. With bonus stick handling techniques.
- PreCanPower helps develop basic skating abilities in a power skating-specific environment, including balance skills, forward and backward skating, stopping, turning and agility skills.
- Levels 1-3 focus on skating fundamentals.
- Levels 4-6 place additional focus on acquisition of efficient technique, speed, agility, technical aspects of stride and acceleration and skating with the puck/ring.
Coaching and Lesson Format: Group lesson format. Program is 12 weeks long: 10 weeks of lessons followed by two test days. To skate for the full year, register for both FALL and WINTER sessions.
REQUIRED Equipment: Full CSA approved hockey/ringette equipment required, including stick, helmet, neck & mouth guard.
CanPowerSkate Session Qualifications:
Minimum Skating Requirements: Skaters must have basic forward and backward skating skills (be able to skate the length of the rink using alternate strides), and be able to stop on command without use of the boards. If skater does not meet this requirement, we recommend enrolling in CanSkate learn to skate lessons until completion of Stage 4.
CanPowerSkate Session A: Pre-Power & CanPower Level I
- Hockey players who are new to CanPower: should be between the ages of 5 and 9, and meet the minimum skating requirements.
- Hockey players previously in CanSkate: must have passed a minimum of Can Skate 4, and playing hockey.
- For hockey players returning to CanPower: any players who have not yet achieved Level 1 Silver.
* ALL new skaters to the program age 5-9 will be assessed on Session A (6:45-7:25pm), and then moved if needed. *
CanPowerSkate Session B: CanPower Levels 1-2
- Hockey players who are new to the CanPower program: should be aged 10 and up, currently playing hockey, and meet the minimum skating requirements.
- For hockey players returning to CanPower: must have passed a minimum of Level 1 Silver, and have not yet achieved Level 2 Gold.
* ALL new skaters to the program age 10 and up will be assessed on Session B (7:25-8:05pm), and then moved if needed. *
CanPowerSkate Session C: CanPower Levels 3-6
- For returning skaters that have passed a minimum of Level 2 Gold, and are working on Levels 3 through 6.
ALL new skaters to the CanPowerSkate program beteen ages 5-9 must sign up for Session A, and skaters age 10 and up must sign up for Session B. All skaters will be assessed on their first day of skating. At the coaches’ discretion, a skater may be moved to a different based on their skill/ability level.