Awards and Bursaries
The London Skating Club and others have set up various awards as well as bursaries. Some are awarded based on skating results and others are considered via an application process. Individual skaters must be registered for at least one full season on-ice session in the current Winter season to qualify (with the exception of the Mary Burdon Scholarship which is open to all WOS Skaters).
See the WOS webpage for details: http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/clubs/bursary.htm
The Evelyn Bastow Bursary Fund Committee will consider applications to assist up and coming competitive skaters who are seeking to improve their skills. Complete the application form and mail it to the address show on the Application for assistance from the Evelyn Bastow Bursary Fund.pdf. Deadlines for application submission: November 15th & February 15th.
Jumpstart gets kids in the game by assisting with the costs associated with registration, equipment and/or transportation for sports and physical activity programming.
KidSport is a national not-for-profit organization that provides financial assistance for registration fees and equipment to kids aged 18 and under. Through a confidential application process we provide grants so they can play a season of sport.
- if a skater or skating pair/team qualifies for the provincial STARSkate championships - $500 (payable once the LSC receives proof of competing in the championship)
- if a skater or skating pair/team qualifies for a National championship - $1000 (payable once the LSC receives proof of competing in the championship)
The following awards are available based on results in the current skating year and awarded at the annual LSC Awards Night. The amount awarded per award varies.
- Competitive skater or pair/dance pair competing at Western Challenge Event and qualifying for Canadians
- Synchronized Skating Team competing at Regionals and qualifying for Canadians
- Adult Synchronized Skating Team competing at Adult Canadians
- Skater or pair/dance team pair competing at Canadians and placing in the top 50% in men's, ladies, pairs or dance
- CanSkate Skater of the Year
- Test Skaters – Three Gold Tests Passed
- Test Skaters – Gold Free Skates Passed
- Test Skaters – Fourth and Fifth Gold Test Passed
- Adult Single Skaters competing and finishing in the top three at Adult Canadians
- STARSkate For skaters competing at Star Skate and qualifying for provincial finals
- Love of Skating Award
- Applications will be accepted between September 1 and February 15 of each school year
- Decisions made each April.
There may be several awards of up to a total value of $5000.00 per year, or at the discretion of the committee.
Awards may be shared amongst several recipients for any given year.
Students enrolled in and attending a post-secondary educational institution full time.
Must provide proof of attendance at a post-secondary school educational institution. Must provide copies of Academic grade transcripts.
Must be registered as a member of Skate Canada in good standing.
Must be actively involved with skating, either as a skater, or as an official.
Must have membership, in good standing, in a home club within WOS for the previous three years, but may reside elsewhere for educational purposes.
- Complete the application form and provide signatures.
- Attach information outlining your educational goals and career aspirations.
- Attach any information not requested on the application form, including your volunteering activity information, that you feel may be of benefit.
- Mail application via Canada Post to the address indicated on the front page of the application form.
Committee decisions are final.
Download application form here: Mary Burdon Scholarship Bursary Application Form