updated Feb 3, 2015 for Spring 2015 sessions
CanSkate: Skate Canada’s Learn to Skate program, for children and adults
CanPowerSkate: Power Skating for Hockey and Ringette Development (Fall/Winter only)
STARSkate (Figure Skating):
PrePreliminary STARSkaters will complete CanSkate Stages 5 & 6 in group figure skating lessons. Upon completion of CanSkate stage 6, the skater may continue to skate on a group session as a Preliminary skater until completion of the Junior Bronze Dance Test (includes Swing Dance, Fiesta Tango, AND Willow Waltz).
A skater may skate on a Preliminary StarSkate private session (eg. Prelim/Junior on Sunday mornings in Fall/Winter, or Thursday evenings in Spring) upon completion of CanSkate Stage 6 AND upon approval of the skater’s private coach (due to safety reasons).
Junior STARSkate consists of two levels, Junior A and Junior B. Those who meet Junior A qualifications will be allowed to skate on a Preliminary/Junior or Junior session. Those who meet the Junior B qualifications can additionally skate on the Junior/Senior sessions. This is to address the gap between the entry level Juniors and the more competitive Senior skaters in the club.
- Complete Preliminary Dance test (includes Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango AND Baby Blues), OR
- Preliminary Skills successfully tested
- OR the skater can consistently execute and land the following jumps (as determined by their base coach): waltz/salchow/toe loop
- Complete Junior Bronze Dance test (includes Swing Dance, Fiesta Tango, AND Willow Waltz),OR
- Junior Bronze Skills successfully tested, OR
- the skater can consistently execute and land the following jumps (as determined by their base coach): lutz/loop/flip
* to skate on a Junior/Senior combined session you must meet these qualifications *
- Complete Junior Silver Dance test (including Keats Foxtrot, Rocker Foxtrot, Harris Tango & American Waltz), OR
- Junior Silver Skills successfully tested, OR
- Junior Bronze FreeSkate successfully tested (both elements/solo), OR
- Junior Bronze FreeSkate Elements only IF a skater has plans to compete in an out-of-club solo or partner (pairs or dance) competition in the upcoming year that precludes completion of the complete Junior Bronze FreeSkate test.
Open (Fall/Winter ONLY):
Session is open to ALL Preliminary, Junior, Senior and adult STARSkaters with a private coach. Preliminary STARSkaters must have passed CanSkate Stage 5 to skate unaccompanied on this session. CanSkate (Stage 5 and under) and CanPowerSkate skaters can also skate on a portion of this ice, provided they are accompanied by a private coach at all times. CanSkaters and CanPowerSkaters (adults included) must wear a CSA approved hockey helmet until completion of CanSkate Stage 5.
Adult skaters aged 18 and up, looking to stay fit, develop flexibility, and learn a lifelong skill. Included with the registration fee is a group stroking session conducted by a NCCP certified professional Skate Canada Coach. Time is allotted for separate Free Style and Dance segments during the session. Group and private lessons are also available to all skaters from our coaches at a fee payable to the coach at the time of the lesson.
Adult skaters with a current Skate Canada membership may also qualify to skate on any STARSkate session by contacting the London Skating Club office for current session availability and qualifications.
Required equipment: Adult skaters must wear CSA approved helmets until completion of CanSkate Stage 5.
CanSkate & Preliminary STARSkate level skaters MUST have their private coach on the ice with them at all times. Skaters in STARSkate Junior and Senior MUST have an adult/guardian present at all times.